Thursday, October 1, 2009

Family Friendly Fall Chili

Submitted by Brian Mezey of Cleveland

This recipe is a sure way to warm the hearts of your husband and children. Bratwurst & Apples, sugar no spice.
Len should like this chili recipe as well :)

My wife and I this fall decided every weekend she would make a new pie and I would try a new chili or stew recipe. I modify existing recipes and this I found a winner. My brother is a chef who attended the Culinary Institute of America and has won many chili cook offs so I have been trying to develop a chili of my own and I think this one finally has a chance to compete. :)

1 onion
1 1/2 granny smith apples
1 red pepper
1 green pepper

Cut into small pieces. Squeeze fresh lime over top (microwave for 30 to soften) and add 3 cloves of fresh garlic and put aside in bowl.

Use package of premium peppered bacon, put in dutch oven and cook, once cooked remove from pot and drain grease, do not clean dutch oven. Put bacon into bowl to cool. After it's cooled put into zip lock bag to crumble.

Cut 5 bratwurst into small pieces and brown in dutch oven. Once cooked add one can of diced tomatoes. let simmer in pot for 5 minutes.

Open 2 cans of Chick Peas, drain, and keep aside. Add onions,apples,and pepper mixture to dutch oven. Add one can of diced tomatoes zesty chili style. Add 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
Let cook for 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and cook for another 15-20 minutes until onions and peppers are tender. Add drained and rinsed chic peas and cook till tender. (10 minutes).

Serve Chili topped with the fresh bacon and shredded white cheddar cheese.

The veggies and fruit were a big favorite of my little girl who is almost one, my wife enjoyed that this wasn't my normal "burn you mouth, hot chili", my 2 1/2 yr old boy liked the "sausage" and I was thrilled to have enjoyed a fall afternoon and know that we have a new family friendly chili recipe for many years to come.

Just in case you were wondering, my wife made a homemade cherry pie that day that was the perfect complement and a great ending to a great day as a family.

God Bless, Hope your families enjoy the recipe as much as ours did.

No comments:

Post a Comment